Introducing the Lampson/Vivaldi Instrumental Works Cross-Reference.
Being a great admirer of Vivaldi's instrumental works, I've always wished I
had a comprehensive and complete listing of all the master's works with the
assigned catalog numbers by the various catalogers structured in such a way
as to allow easy searching, sorting and translation between the catalog
numbers. A fairly thorough search turned up no such list, so I decided to
create a database of Vivaldi's works that I could use to create
cross-reference lists including any and all information usually included in
the various works lists. I have recently concluded the first pass through the
data entry and review phases, and present the results for general
I currently have the following lists available:
I can also make the data available in a variety of formats as necessary. If
anyone would like access to this data, please feel free to let me know.
Some interesting stats:
- 253 Concerti for Violin, strings & basso continuo.
- 44 Concerti for Strings & basso continuo.
- 42 Sonatas for Violin & basso continuo.
- 39 Concerti for Bassoon, strings & basso continuo.
- 28 Concerti for 2 Violins, strings & basso continuo.
- 26 Concerti for Cello, strings & basso continuo.
- 25 Sonatas for 2 Violins & basso continuo.
- 20 Concerti for Oboe, strings & basso continuo.
- 17 Sinfonias for Strings & basso continuo.
- 15 Concerti for Flute, strings & basso continuo.
- 10 Sonatas for Cello & basso continuo.
- 97 Concertos for various and/or multiple instruments.
- 21 Sonatas (including trios) for various and/or multiple
- 2 Sinfonias for Violin, strings & basso continuo.
- 639 Instrumental Works (512 Concertos, 108 Sonatas, 19 Sinfonias)
- 42 works in A Major
- 28 works in A minor
- 62 works in B Flat Major
- 17 works in B minor
- 99 works in C Major
- 26 works in C minor
- 77 works in D Major
- 44 works in D minor
- 20 works in E Flat Major
- 15 works in E Major
- 25 works in E minor
- 72 works in F Major
- 4 works in F minor
- 49 works in G Major
- 58 works in G minor
The "New Grove Italian Baroque Masters" article on Vivaldi by Michael Talbot
1980, 1984 W.W. Norton & Company ISBN 0-393-30094-3
Vivaldi by Alan Kendall
Various volumes of the "Informazioni e studi vivaldiani" published by
"Instituto Italiano Antonio Vivaldi" (founded by Sgr. Antonio Fanna). Sgr.
Gian Francesco Malipiero is both Artistic Director of Institute and the
editor of the scores; and G. Ricordi & Co. are the publishers of the
scores (Edizioni Ricordi).
I would like to acknowledge the invaluable assistance provided by Winslowe
Lacesso At the University of Alberta, Canada, in researching inconsistencies
and typos in the lists and referring to the published scores as necessary.
Her assistance is greatly appreciated.
1995-09-05 (HTML-version), Werner Icking (1943-2001), GMD